Vegan bliss balls are nothing new. They’ve been a favorite snack of mine and many others for a long time. That being said, the flavor combinations of these things are endless! I add lemon juice to just about everything I cook these days, so I tried adding lemon juice and lemon zest to this bliss ball mix and WHOA. It brings the flavor profile to a new level.
The dates create a sweet, sticky adhesive for the rest of the ingredients in this mix, and There is no need to add any additional sweeteners! The cashews give the mix a nice crumble to add a bit of texture. The vanilla extract really brings out a warm, decadent flavor (always reminds me of chocolate chip cookies). The lemony flavor is unexpected to anyone trying these for the first time and so far no one hasn’t drooled over the lingering zesty zing!
The coconut pieces act as a shell and allow you to pick these up and stuff your face without getting your fingers all sticky. You can also use something like hemp seeds or chia seeds for the shell… But coconut is more fun!
Lemony Cashew Date Vegan Bliss Balls
For this recipe you will need:
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup of raw cashew pieces
- 7-8 pitted dates
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of half of a lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A dash of sea salt (optional)
- Add the shredded coconut to a food processor and blend for about 20 seconds. Pour the flakes out onto a plate and set aside for later
- In a food processor, blend the raw cashews for about 10 seconds until a light fluffy mix forms.
- Add the pitted dates, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and a pinch of sea salt.
- Blend until the mixture begins to come together and form chunks. Be sure not to over mix! You don’t want a fine paste.
- With a spoon, scoop out about two tablespoons worth of mixture and roll it into a ball between your palms.
- Gently roll the ball into the coconut flakes until completely coated and place into a separate container. Repeat until all of the mixture is gone. You should end up with 5-6 bliss balls.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.
If you liked this recipe check out even more vegan hiking snack recipes. What do you like to add to your bliss balls?? Let everyone know in the comments below!